I'm so tired of hearing people say that being a shade lighter or being a shade darker is better than the other. I took up a writing class a few months ago and we talked about how in the olden days light skin people were treated better than dark skin people, and still are today.
I'm light skinned and I've been treated differently in many cases. I've been harassed because I'm just a shade lighter. I can't help it if I'm a little lighter than some of my peers, I just wish that we would just stop separating ourselves. Why do we do this?
I ran across a video of an old episode of the Tyra Show where she had women come on her show to talk about how they bleach their skin and their children skin. The women on the show were dark skin and when they used the bleaching cream they became a few shades lighter. They each told Tyra that when they became lighter that they received more attention, especially from men. They've always wanted to be lighter because they envied the lighter girls that they went to school with. The lighter girls would receive more attention from the teachers and the boys in the class. One of the women on the show even said that she would only date Asian men because she refuses to have a dark skinned baby on her hip. These women are just ignorant to me, why would use harsh chemicals on your skin and your children's? They could really damage their skin, but all they think about is being a shade lighter.
People like this focus most of their attention on how the media portrays light skinned people. They watch videos and see that light skinned women have lead roles in music videos and are on the cover of men's magazines. Have you ever noticed that? I didn't at first but now I realize that light skinned people are favored, but why? We are all beautiful, why should the shade of our skin compromise the way you look at us?
Never walk around thinking that your better looking because your a shade lighter, because obviously that's just ignorant. Beautiful black people embrace your skin and don't let others bring you down.
Please comment.
No comments:
Post a Comment